Who would like to see wrinkles on her face? Nobody. But rather than trying products that may or may NOT work, why don’t you learn what causes wrinkles, and try to avoid them? Instead of worrying, take steps that will reduce wrinkles on your face naturally, and may even delay their appearance.
What is a wrinkle?
A wrinkle is a fold or crease in the skin. Wrinkles appear on the skin as you age when aging skin starts to lose its ability to hold on moisture, makes less oil, and is slower to heal. It also produces less collagen, and because collagen is what makes your skin smooth and elastic, wrinkles start to appear.
Common causes of wrinkles include:
- Genetic (family) influences.
- Normal aging changes in the skin: Aging naturally causes a slowdown in collagen and elastin production. With aging also comes a loss of fat in the face, and looser and thinner layers of skin that add to the appearance of fine lines. Remember that you cannot stop the clock, but you can slow down the process by several ways, so keep on reading.
- Smoking: Smoking curbs your skin’s production of collagen, which keeps your skin from sagging and forming wrinkles. The downturn in collagen paves the way for wrinkles. That is one more reason to quit smoking, or never to start.
- Sun exposure: It is the No. 1 cause of wrinkles. Getting too much sun damages your skin.
- Dehydration: dry skin appears more wrinkled, the same way dry soil looks like after a drought.
How to Reduce Wrinkles on Your Face Naturally?
#1 Stop Smoking
In a research that followed one million women who smoked a pack per day, researchers found that “Lifelong smoking reduces life by a decade“. Terrifying fact, right?!
The act of smoking creates creases around the mouth that eventually form permanent wrinkles. It also damages collagen and elastin — fibers that give your skin its strength and elasticity. So smoking does harm both; from the inside and the outside. If you are a smoker, do yourself a favor and quit smoking.
#2 The American Academy of Dermatology says: Wear a Sunscreen!
It will protect you from skin cancer, and help reduce wrinkles at the same time. So stay out of the sun between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m., and make it a habit of wearing sunscreen every day with at least 30 SPF, even in winter when it is cloudy.
When wearing a sunscreen, make sure to apply an eye cream that contains an SPF, the skin around your eyes is so delicate, and tends to wrinkle before the rest of your face.
#3 Get Enough Sleep
When you do not get enough sleep, the body produces excess cortisol, a hormone that breaks down skin cells. While when you get enough rest, your body will produce more HGH ( human growth hormone), which helps your tissues remain thick, more “elastic,” and less likely to wrinkle.
#4 Eat more Fish, Particularly Salmon
It is an awesome source of an essential fatty acid known as Omega-3; which helps nourish skin and keep it plump and youthful, eventually helping to reduce wrinkles.
#5 Eat Fruits and Vegetables
Fruits and vegetables contain antioxidants; compounds that fight damage caused by free radicals (unstable molecules that can damage cells), which in turn helps you look younger and more radiant. Make sure that each meal contains at least one kind of fresh fruits and vegetables. You can also drink smoothies as a healthy snack and a great source of antioxidants. Make sure you include these 20 foods in your breakfast.
#6 Apply a Moisturizer Everyday
Your skin simply looks better when moisturized; since a moisturizer makes wrinkles less visible to the naked eye. That is the secret behind instant results when using most of what is called “miracle” moisturizers. On the other hand, there are moisturizers that boost the production of collagen. Look for the ones that contain Alpha-hydroxy acids (AHAs). These natural fruit acids lift away the top layer of dead skin cells, reducing the appearance of wrinkles, they also stimulate the production of new collagen.
Other ingredients to look for are peptides that help promote the production of new collagen. When combined, AHA’s, peptides, and antioxidants from the best moisturizer for your skin.
If you prefer more natural moisturizers, organic oils are a good option for you. Oils like coconut oil, olive oil, and argan oil, all contain antioxidants and have been used for centuries for protecting the skin and fighting wrinkles. For me, I prefer argan oil, as my skin absorbs it quickly. But you can choose from a wide variety of oils, just make sure it is labeled “organic”.
#7 Use Retinol
Retinol is a natural form of vitamin A found in many anti-aging creams. It is the only ingredient that works on a molecular level by exfoliating the skin and increasing the production of collagen. Thus reducing wrinkles.
#9 Drink Green Tea (and apply it to your face!)
According to Mayo Clinic, “Green tea extracts are the ones most commonly found in anti-aging creams”. Green tea is superior in delivering antioxidants and reducing wrinkles.
#10 Stay Hydrated
Water, fresh fruit juice, and tea are all great sources for keeping your skin in good condition. If you always forget to drink water, like I do, you can install an app on your smartphone for reminding you to drink water.
#11 Homemade Facial Masks:
there are many homemade beauty tips that can be used safely on your face, here are two examples:
Homemade anti aging Masks with Banana, Cream, Oatmeal & Honey
- 1 ripe Banana
- 3 tablespoons organic Heavy cream
- 1.5 tablespoon dark organic Honey (the darker the better)
- 1.5 tablespoon Oatmeal flour
- Mineral water
Instructions: Mash the banana well and add the rest of the ingredients and blend them well until you have a smooth paste, if necessary you can add more oatmeal also.Apply this paste on your face and neck gently, and relax for 20 minutes. Then wash with warm water and pat dry with a clean towel. Finally, tone and apply a moisturizer.
Green Seedless Grapes Mask
Grapes are filled with alpha-hydroxy acids – the ingredient found in much skin firming and anti-aging creams. Therefore; regular use of grapes is believed to control wrinkles.
Ingredients: Green seedless grapes.
Method: Cut a green seedless grape in half, and gently rub it on your face. Leave the mask on your face for around fifteen to twenty minutes before washing it off with cold or warm water. Gently pat your face dry. You may then apply a moisturizer.
I have collected all these tips in one chart, make sure to save it, pin it, and share it!
Facts you should know:
1. “Nonprescription anti aging creams contain lower concentrations of active ingredients than do prescription creams. Therefore, results, if any, are limited and usually takes a longer period of time to show. Therefore, you should be patient and always look for ingredients that work like retinol, vitamin C, and hyaluronic acid. In addition, Cost has no relationship to effectiveness. Anti-aging creams that are more costly may not be more effective than less costly products”. [Source: Mayo Clinic]
2. You should be aware of the fact that Food and Drug Administration approves anti-aging creams only for their safety, not for their effectiveness. Improvements based on “clinical trials” and vague terms like “noticeable difference” may rely on nothing more measurable than the observations and impressions of those involved in the study — which the company paid for.
3. Stress can thin and weaken the skin. So worrying about wrinkles may actually make them worse! The most likely reason we develop wrinkles when we worry has to do with the lifestyle that accompanies stress. When people worry, they do not eat well, they exercise less, and they generally do not maintain a healthy sleep schedule, all of which can affect a person’s appearance.
4. There is a fact that you should be aware of: No one can turn back the clock. Don’t be Misled by the product name. There is nothing called “Super Cream” or “Miracle Cream”. My fellow blogger Allison wrote an excellent review for a “Miracle” cream, visit her blog Never Say Die Beauty to find out.
It is never too late to start taking a good care of your skin, experts say that the best ways to reduce wrinkles are sun-protection, nutritious diet, regular exercise, a stress-free lifestyle, using anti aging creams that contain Retinol and proper sleep.
If you spend $$$ annually in the search for miracle beauty products, eat right and live a healthy lifestyle. Rather than trying to reverse the effects of time, try preventing wrinkles in the first place.