Every curly-haired girl out there knows the struggle that comes with the blessing. Curly locks are guaranteed to make you feel – and look! – Like a stunning wild princess, but a mane like this can give you a bit of a headache when it’s time to style and care for it.
Still, curly hair can be unbelievably versatile. If you’re out of ideas and patience on what to do with those gorgeous, but ever so tangled strands of yours, don’t worry! We give you the best hairstyle tips to help you rock the New Year better than ever.
Old But Gold – The Pineapple Trick
This is the perfect trick to give your curly locks extra volume while keeping their characteristic shape. Just pull all your hair up to the top of your head and loosely tie it. Once you take it down, your strands will fall naturally, with a perfect shape and a little-added bounce. It doesn’t matter when you do it, but try sleeping with it like this and see how you feel about the result. Maybe looking like a pineapple for a few hours is actually worth it!
Take the Curling Iron Out
Just because your hair’s already curly, doesn’t mean you can’t bring out the big, hot, curling guns! Sometimes you’ll find your locks looking a bit lifeless, and using a curling iron can help spark them up. Whether you choose a similar diameter to your natural shape or wish to make them look fuller and go a couple of sizes larger, a curling iron can actually be a great assistant for styling your wild mane!
Let’s Talk Diffuser
Remember when you bought your hair dryer, and it came with a full set of tools that you probably shoved inside a closet and never looked at again? Well, it’s time you give them a second look, especially your diffuser! Not only will it help you get rid of that annoying frizz that’s bound to happen when you let hair dry naturally, but it also will give your locks some very nice volume, and shape those curls to absolute perfection.
Take It Up
For those days when nothing seems to work, go for a messy topknot. This hairstyle works a lot like the pineapple trick, but this time style with a bit more care and pull a couple of loose strands in the front to frame your face. The messy bun is universal, for straight and curly hair alike, and you really can’t go wrong with it!
Half Braid, Half Pony
If you feel like trying something a bit different, this is a good one for you! This hairstyle, known as the corset French braid, involves half French braiding and half mohawk style pony.
Here’s how to get it:
- Grab a mohawk piece and tie it into a low pony.
- French braid the part of the hair that isn’t tied.
- Take the side pieces of hair and bring them under the pony.
- Tie it up and voilá! Daring and refreshing.
Classic French with a Twist
Perhaps a simpler version of the corset French braid, this hairstyle is a bit more classic and less audacious, but beautiful, elegant and easy to put together. It’s just a matter of French braiding the top part of the hair however you preferred but ended it with a low ponytail. Seamless!
Half Bun for the Win
Keep your gorgeous curly strands away from your face and look stylish at the same time. The half bun came back in full force a few years back, and it will remain a cool-girl signature look, probably forever. No fuss needed, and guaranteed to look great, even on wild and untamable curly hair!
Classy Top Knot
Okay, maybe you want to put your hair up, but don’t quite feel like going just for the traditional top knot. Why not give it a twist and try a braided top knot to amp up the class? It’s quite simple – you have to leave a section of hair out when putting the rest up, braid it and then wrap it around your bun. Tuck it in with a bobby pin, and you’re good to go! Elegant and effortless.
This one looks quite intricate, but it’s not that hard to achieve and is guaranteed to make you look like you jumped straight out of a classic novel.
We’ll take you step by step:
- Make three separate sections of hair.
- Braid the different sections all the way to the tips, but not too tightly.
- Now use the three braids and braid them together.
- Loosen some strands up a bit to make more relaxed, and there you go! A big, fluffy and artsy brand for special days.
A Crown for a Princess
We all feel royal sometimes, right? Well, for days like that nothing is more perfect than a crown – and one made with your own hair! Just by taking two small sections of hair, from the front of your face on each side, braiding them and wrapping them around your head, you got yourself a beautiful ornament. Just like a princess!
Taking the High Road
Ponytails are always a safe solution when you don’t feel like taking too much time to deal with your hair. High
Inside Out Up-Do
For special occasions like weddings and galas, women usually look for something more elegant and intricate to do with their hair. For those with curly hair, the trouble seems a bit extra, but achieving a complex, yet wonderful hairstyle is easier than you might think.
Try the inside out updo, for instance:
- Again, pick three sections of hair, but this time from top to bottom as opposed to side to side and make a small ponytail with each of them.
- Now, flip each ponytail over itself. Start with the top one, by creating a hole above the elastic, flip the hair over into the elastic and tighten the grip. Tuck the first ponytail inside the hole you’ll make for the second ponytail and repeat the process.
- When you’re finished with the third ponytail using the same technique, secures it with an elastic. Take the small tail of hair that will stay at the end and tuck it inside, right at the nape of your neck, and secure it with a bobby pin.
- That’s it! Perfect for that fancy dinner party at the office.
The Rocker Girl Look
You got a couple of tickets to see your favorite rock band play next weekend and you want to dress and style perfectly for the occasion? Look no further, because the half-up quiff pompadour is the ideal look for this, or even if you’re just feeling a bit frisky for a night out.
Curious? Here’s how to get it:
- For this hairstyle, in particular, we’re giving your curls a break and aim for something a bit different. Straighten your hair with a flat iron as best you can, from root to end, but don’t worry about being too precise.
- Take a section of hair from the very top of your hair and using a comb, give the back part a little ruffle to add volume. Pin it back and as high as you wish.
- Take a small amount of gel and slide it through both sides of the hair for the ultimate rocker chick look. Top it off a bold smoky eye, and there you have it!
Sleek Half Ponytail
For a lower key look, why not go for a beautiful half pony? Unlike the high version of this hairdo, a half pony is both business and pleasure, stylish and effortless. Pick some strands to frame your cheeks after you pull it back and tie around the center of your head.
Bringing Back the 50’s
This one is definitely different, but guaranteed to be a success! If you want to take a couple of steps back in time, consider trying the wavy pin-up bangs hairstyle. All you have to do is take a section of hair from the front (make it a considerable amount, but don’t overdo it) and slowly make a little roll from the tip until it reaches the top of your head. Pin it down with some bobby pins underneath and hey – welcome back to the 1950’s!
Chop It All, Chop It Good
Because curly hair tends to have much volume, women who have it automatically think they can’t possibly pull off a short hairstyle well, news flash, they actually can!
Going for a classy bob or a bold pixie cut works as beautifully as it would on straight hair. Maybe even more so because of all the added life, the curls bring into the mix. Don’t be afraid to try something entirely new when it comes to the length of your hair – the courage will be worth it!
If you’re still unsure about actually going for the chop, try the short bob hairstyle without having to cut it. Yes, it’s possible! Just put a bit of work into taking layers of your hair and pinning it under your neck with bobby pins, hiding them strategically. This is a great way to find out how you’ll look like if you’d try a shorter haircut.
Put a Bow on It
Minnie Mouse fans; this is the perfect hairstyle for you! It almost looks magic how someone can actually turn their hair into a cute and a dainty bow, but it’s possible! No more wondering:
- Put all the hair way up on the top of your head and secure it in a ponytail.
- Wrap your hair around the elastic successively and, on your last loop, leave the tips of your hair pointing towards your forehead. Divide it into two halves.
- Wrap the ends across the halves and hide them behind the center of your bow.
- You are now ready for a Disney Movie cameo!
Wrap It All Up
Don’t forget the amazing help accessories can provide when it comes to styling your hair! Small details like glitter bobby pins or, even bolder, scarfs that you can wrap around your head can make a world of difference. You can go for all sorts of patterns and colors and give your whole look an extra kick of personality.
More than just great weapons for curly hairstyles, braids can also have a pretty cool impact on days you plan to let your hair down. Try French braiding your hair all the way from the roots to the ends, and sleep like this. When you wake up and braid out, you’ll have a fresh, new, beautiful hairstyle for the day!
To The Side, To the Side
For those curly haired ladies with longer strands, going for a half bob is a great option. It’s a beautiful play on textures that is quite easy to achieve:
- Part your hair into a side section, trying to make it begin a bit above your ear.
- With the help of a little hair gel, smooth over the hair on the side where the middle part starts. Hold it down with bobby pins.
- Take the other side of your hair and begin pinning it back. As you go, allow the length of the strands to grow bigger.
- The strand that will fall next to your face on the other side of the hair part should be the longest. You got? Good!
Here are more curly hair styles that looks gorgeous in summer as well as all year long.
As you can see, no matter how wild and unmanageable that gorgeous curly hair of yours may seem, this doesn’t mean you should give up and not take advantage of its versatility! With a little time and effort, you can still create beautiful and stylish looks, each more impressive than the other.
Now, you are officially prepared to enter the New Year and rock your curls!